14561 SW Chesterfield Ln. Mobile: 503-330-8924
Tigard, OR 97224 Dave@ddahlstrom.com
Career Focus –
Directing Business Development & Marketing Planning and Execution
A Director level executive with twenty plus years of involvement in all dimensions of marketing and sales management, with the continuing ability throughout my career to find creative solutions and opportunities for the most challenging problems. Entrepreneurial mind set led to successes in partnerships, alliances and multi-channel distribution networks.
Core Competencies –
· Strategic and tactical planning
· Budgeting and P&L goals
· Business development initiatives
· Marketing communications strategies
· Advertising and brand development
· Balanced left brain/right brain solutions
· Articulate and compelling presentations
· Effective team building initiatives
Executive Performance Overview –
New Business Development
· Created a new business unit that produced over $30.2 million in sales.
· Authored strategic business plans for a major business expansion.
· Developed a North American distribution network of 22 high quality companies.
· Managed a new market expansion to competitive OEMs netting 31% profitability.
· Oversaw development of a strategic alliance and negotiated international contracts between Japanese, German and American companies.
Marketing Planning & Execution
· Managed major marketing initiatives which grew sales from $20 to $60 million.
· Planned and conducted large annual business and sales training meetings.
· Created an industry-first retail merchandising system for a nationwide network of 2,000 dealers.
· Enhanced the company’s brand and corporate image which substantially increased market share in all product categories.
· Created a unique branding and marketing program to successfully launch an unknown product into a crowded environment.
Professional Experience –
Shindaiwa, Inc.; $100m Power Equipment Manufacturer, Tualatin, OR 1991 to 2009
Member of the Executive Committee, reporting to the President of the U.S. company and the Executive Vice President of the Japanese parent company.
Director Marketing & Business Development, Construction Products Division. In the past nine years, started up and managed the Construction Products division to market a new line of mobile diesel generators. The division achieved profitability and generated over $30 million in revenue. Oversaw the creation of a national distribution network made up of high quality power generation distributors. Managed Eastern region sales territory to a 150% growth rate.
Also was responsible for creating an OEM alliance with a major Germany-based equipment manufacturer to sell an innovative new product. Responsibilities have required extensive domestic, Asian and European travel.
Manager of Marketing and Business Development, Outdoor Power Products. For three years was responsible for all corporate marketing functions and searching for new business opportunities beyond our core products. Managed a very profitable product line that was sold to several competitive OEM’s. Created a business plan detailing how the company should enter into the mobile generator business in the U.S. which was accepted by the Board of Directors in Japan.
Marketing Manager, Outdoor Power Products. For the first six years, managed all corporate marketing activities during a period when the company’s sales rose from $20 million to $50 million. Oversaw the creation of many innovative sales and marketing programs that set new standards in the retail environment of the outdoor power equipment industry.
Cummins Northwest, Inc.; $80m Diesel Engine/Generator Distributor, Seattle, WA. 1985 to 1991
Marketing Manager for Cummins and Onan brands of engines and generators. Managed and created sales support and marketing programs that supported the growth in sales from $50 million to $80 million during this period. Also managed a sales territory of heavy-duty truck dealers.
Education & Associations –
BA Communications Design (with Honors), Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, CA
Liberal Arts Studies, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Marketing Planning course, American Management Assoc., San Francisco, CA
Board of Directors, EGSA (Engine Generator Systems Assn.), Boca Raton, FL